Sunday, January 24, 2010

Nom nom nom...


It be done.

And dry.

336yds of 2ply laceweight. 2.1oz.
50/50 yak & merino

Its looks much coarser than it feels. Despite the rustic coloration and overall appearance its very, very soft. Its much denser than I expected, though maybe some of that is from working with the polwarth recently. I would be interested to see how 100% yak spun since the merino seemed to hamper the fiber more than help it (I find this true with a lot of down blends, I know some people find them helpful but I'm of the opinion that they mess up the best properties of both fibers). I have not ruled out the possibility that I am simply spinning these blends in an unnecessarily complicated way however.

*sigh* all frustrations aside. She is beautiful, no?

Also - I keep forgetting to talk about the yellow BFL from last year.

This is what the finished yarn looked like:

This Ugly Roving <- Is what it came from.

The ugly roving in the picture was a disaster. It was muddy. it was partially felted. It was just... not a good thing. I persisted in spinning it mostly because I am a strange stubborn person, and also possibly as punishment for messing up some perfectly lovely wool. I spun all 8oz of it, persisted in hating it and then went and got 8oz more.

Because damnit. I was going to save that ugly fiber even if I had to trash another half a pound to do it! I dyed the second batch significantly lighter and more saturated than the first. It was not felted (thank god - by that point I was about ready to scream about how much suck spinning partially felted roving is. Also I think my drafting thumb was threatening to fall off.) but it was day-glo orange in a couple of places, which I decided was better than that unfortunately muddy/pooey greenish yellow that it was in places on the first roving.

A bit of praying and some thankfully solid color theory later and you have the above yarn. The unfortunate bits balanced each other out well and the overall effect is a bright yellowy gold. I had trouble letting go of the yarn in the end. It came very close the matching my car.

I didn't achieve the yardage I set out for, unfortunately. A lot of this is because of the density of the felted singles, some of it is because I was a bad spinner and did not sample, and some of it is because the universe is just like that sometimes. I think the final count of all 4 skeins was in the upper 600yds range, which still isn't bad, of a heavy worsted/Aran weight.

Enough spinning for now. I have 2 sweaters started and a pair of socks 1 heel away from done. Must get back to it.

2 comments:

Jan Berry said...

Need photos of starts of sweaters and socks!

Amanda Candler said...

Overall, I think that yellow came out very well, but I is a noob, so I'm not really sure I know what I am talking about...

And the yak/merino is lovely indeed!

And HEY! Don't I now own some of that FAB-U-LOUS Mardi Gras yarn?!?!