Sunday, September 13, 2009

I should know better

Rather than hunt down some Kauni I, in my infinite wisdom, decided to dye up some KP sock blanks for a Revontuli shawl. This is for my Grandmother for Christmas and she wanted a rainbow of colors. So I painted on the colors and ran it through the dye pot (twice because I wanted to make sure the color took all the way through) and... its crap.

Okay, its not crap exactly. Its more or less rainbow colored, but despite my best efforts white spots remain and so my reds knit up splotchy pink and the Kelly Green, which incidently was the ONLY color to dye all the way through, came out pretty well neon due to what I'm guessing is some yellow splitting (at least... its never dyed up quite this neon green for me before).

Also, I seem to have forgotten that I hate KP essential. HATE. Somewhat unsurprisingly the yarn was not improved any by being pre-knit into a sheet. It still makes my teeth hurt to knit with it.

So.

Dyed yarn is getting tossed (or RAKd or something... there are people in the universe that would probably like this yarn... if I didn't hate the base so much I think the end result would make some pretty badass knee-high socks) and I've found a couple of skeins of Kauni in the EQ colorway on a ravelry destash.

Odds are good I won't like working with the Kauni either, but at least the colors will be good and it won't make that awful squeaky noise when I knit.

No comments: