Thursday, December 3, 2009

Oh! Shiny!


spindleset2
Originally uploaded by kleighb
One of the women at my Thursday night knitting group has been working on making a line of drop spindles and I've been having entirely too much fun playing with them as she's worked out how to put them together. Tonight she brought in the first finished batch and they are quite lovely.

One of them (made out of a cool sounding wood that I've already forgotten the name of... it starts with a "Ch" sound I think. Its pretty and kind of iridescent) decided that it needed to come home with me. Because it loves me.

Which is good because I love it back.

(It is the smaller of the two in the picture, the big one is an earlier prototype that came home with me awhile ago. It is also very nice but more of a plying weight at a bit over 1.5oz - the little lovely is 5/8oz. which is right in my favorite weight range. And Oh! their cutouts match! Its like having a paired set!)

I sort of lost interests in top whorls after I first learned to spin, but I am rediscovering the appeal here. I have never had one that's done a thigh roll quite so nicely. And she does spin and spin and spin and spin....

Also did I mention the pretty shiny part?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You blogged about your JB Woodworks spindles. Awesome! The wood on your second spindle is Chechen. -JB