Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Stumped


I received some really gorgeous linen blend yarn from my parents when they were down here recently. Its a Classic Elite Yarn called "Firefly" in a rich graphite color. It has a really lovely sheen and is very drapey knit up.

I've been getting a gauge in the neighborhood of 20-22sts/4in with row gauge in the low to mid 30s. Originally I'd thought to make a Buttercup from it, but this yarn doesn't full out as much as the hempathy seems to and I haven't been able to approach gauge without dropping down to size 2s. Even at gauge there is still a sort of gauzyness to the finished fabric that suggests to me it would be better as a light cardigan or wrap than a top (unless lining was involved or I wanted to resign myself to always wearing a cami underneath).

I'm having trouble finding a pattern that matches my idea of how this yarn should best be displayed however. I'd like something with a lot of drape and flow. Nothing with super structured shaping or stitches.

Things like the Pas de Valse or the Lily Cardigan seem to come closest but I'm on the fence. The former runs the risk of having too much fabric to be really wearable here (I'm wanting something light and summery to wear in the spring and fall and maybe in the cooler evenings). The later is a pretty basic raglan and I think I might have as good or better luck just punching up the raglan generator and going from there rather than fussing with it.

I'd honestly prefer to do a set in sleeve this go, which the Pas de Valse has, but not having done a (successful) sweater in this method makes me nervous to just jump in and hope for the best with modifying a pattern to fit gauge. Before I swatched I had considered doing the geodesic cardigan with this, but a full stitch off an inch is beyond my willingness to work out just now (also I've come into possession of some teal Wollmeise that would look really fantastic in that pattern...).

So I'm stuck. I want to knit this yarn NOW, but I can't decide what I want to knit it into.

Cardigan. Simple. In the 20-21 sts x 30-34 rows range.

Help.

3 comments:

Jan Berry said...

The cardigans I mentioned: Seaweed Cardigan and Double V Cardigan (both in Ravelry). You know I am hopeless about gauge and all that, so I have no idea if they fit your requirements. Anyway, hope you get your Interweave Knits issue soon!

Jeri Brock said...

Of the ones mentioned, both by you and by Jan, I'm leaning toward Lily. I think it would show off the yarn best.

puddle said...

I think you would look great in the Lily one.