Saturday, May 23, 2009

Supergeek wins over Reason


You ever work on something that just doesn't want to happen?

Or maybe this is just the way designing something from scratch always works.

Deadpool Mitts version 0.9 - the left hand is DONE. okay it needs the ends woven (of which there are a crapload) but the knitting is finished which is a big freaking deal because this is ALL I'VE WORKED ON THIS WEEK. The idea was floating around last weekend, and I ran out on Saturday to get a reasonably correct shade of red and let me tell you there is nothing like hunting down a particular solid color sock yarn at 4:30pm on a saturday when all the yarn shops around here close at 5 >.<

I ended up getting it at Stitche Niche and wound up overpaying for it, but at that point I was so damn happy that someone had it AND was open when I got there I would have paid twice MSRP just to not have to wait until monday or tuesday or god forbid to have it SHIPPED HERE.

Anyway, I started with a pretty basic plan and two shades of Heritage sock and by sunday evening I had most of a mitt done and OK it was like for a men's X-large, but still. Proof of concept, right? I redid some math and my color chart and started again. I was working on the fingers when a friend pointed out that my black yarn? Not black. Crazy dark navy. Not black.

ARGH.

Yeah, not gonna fly.

So I gave the evil unfinished mit away to be lost so I could forget about it and started again.

About 10 hours of knitting today later:


Its not perfect. I wound up duplicate stitching the design because the two yarns I'm using are slightly different gauges and trying to do intarsia kept ending up with ugly holes and uneven stitches. The fit is so-so. They're not my Porphyria that hug my hands all perfect like, but the slightly looser wrist section is kind of nice. Roomy-like. It warants further fiddling, but its not bad for a first (third) try.

I am sort of on the fence about where I ended the black section as well - on the one hand when I make a fist it falls right above the knuckles and looks BADASS, on the other when i have my hand straightened out it looks a little clunky. That's the problem with interpreting comic book stuff I guess. Those guys aren't fashion designers - they don't have to worry about if it looks dorky when the guy isn't standing heroicly because comic book characters ALWAY POSE THAT WAY.

Anyway - there will undoubtably be a version 1.5 or 2.0 or 1.89213 or whatever. Probably around when the movie gets released.

In the meantime I think I deserve special Uber-nerd consideration.

I outgeek you.

Srsly.

No comments: