Sunday, July 4, 2010

Nom Nom Nom...


I am currently spinning 8oz of Targhee, which is the base for Yarnorama's July 2010 colorway and it is AWESOME.

I feel like kind of a dumbass because I could swear I've spun Targhee before, but either it was not this good of a preparation or I imagined it because this? This is dreamy. *_*

Its got a super high crimp and loftiness that I just haven't encountered before. The closest thing I can recall is the falkland I spun recently but this has a smooth light draft that reminds me of a merino rather than the sticky pull I had with the falkland. The singles are about the diameter I'd usually spin for a light fingering 2-ply but if the ply-back I tried is anything to go by the end yarn will be a sport or DK.

I can't wait to see the finished results, I can just see this becoming one of my favorite fibers to spin.

I also finished my Sushi socks today. They are the blackrose pattern from Knitty in Schoppel-Wolle Crazy Zauberball (in the "Frische Fische" colorway - get it? Yeah, I'm lame). I love these socks.

LOVE.

They may be my favorite handknit socks ever (well... discounting handspun socks, but those are a special case). They are stretchy and squishy and surprisingly light - each sock weighs in at about 30g. There's a lot of yardage in one ball and I've got enough left over for an entire third sock if I wanted. The colors are fun and unpredictable and just generally awesome.

The pattern is great fun. Its got exactly enough going on to keep from getting boring, but because a lot of the sock is in stockinette it made for a fast knit. I got the yarn as a pressie from Mom on the 23rd which puts a pair knit in eleven days.

Horray for (nearly) instant gratification!

2 comments:

Jan Berry said...

I love your socks! The Frische Fische color came out great. My socks, in the Kleiner Fuchs colorway, are way more orange and red than I thought they'd be. But that's part of the surprise and fun, right??!

puddle said...

Those are the craziest frickin' socks I have ever seen!