Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Day 1.5: Cleaning

My back & shoulders hate me but the loom is officially clean. In hindsight I wonder if I should have taken a picture of just how much nasty I scrubbed off so everyone could be impressed by my dedication to cleaning but... well... it was gross. I really could have gone my whole life without knowing what rotten felt looks & smells like and probably no one else needs to share in that bit of knowledge that hasn't already had to deal with it.

Besides the good cleaning I have stripped and replaced the rusted hardware, removed all the old heddles & heddle bars and sewn up new canvas straps for the front beam. I'm also slowly replacing the old pedal cords with hemp bands and new clips (I debated leaving the chain & cord on there but couldn't work out a way to just replace the clips which are really badly rusted).

Next up is reconditioning the whole thing & / or repairing the finish. This is the step where I stop having any idea what I'm doing but friends and hardware store employees assure me I can do this and not either f-up beyond belief or somehow permanently damage myself so I'm charging ahead.

Still looking for a reed & new bars (replacement heddles at least were easy), but I'm confident I will find them.

3 comments:

puddle said...

It's so PRETTY!!! *o*

Unknown said...

I have one of these beautiful looms too and I am refurbishing it. Where did you find the right heddles?

Kleigh said...

The heddles are 9.5" - mine were flat steel. They are the same size commonly used on the Schacht looms if that helps.