Sunday, September 26, 2010

The "Thing"

I am convinced that every dedicated yarnie/fiberista/crafter/artist type eventually has that score that they will tell stories about forever and their friends will tell stories about and then eventually it will turn into a crazy niche-type urban legend about finding 50 balls of Cashmerino at the thrift store for 5$ or a Reeves wheel in a parent's attic or a dozen froggable cashmere sweaters at goodwill.

Like if you just stick with your crazy obsession long enough someone somewhere will leave you their entire stash of Noro or some distant relative will find out you spin and mention that hey, they raise sheep or alpaca or angora on the side and would you like a few prime fleeces for christmas this year?

And until it happens to you all you can do is try not to be too overwhelmingly jealous when someone shows up at knit night with a complete set of Addi Turbos they got at some estate sale for pocket change.

So.

Yeah.

I think this is mine:

Its a 30" 4 harness Pendleton jack loom (& yes, it folds).

It needs a new reed, heddles & heddle bars and some small bits of hardware here and there.

Also a really good cleaning.

I'm hyped. I've been wanting a 4-harness loom for awhile but its been a kind of a pipe dream. I don't have the space for the large looms that sometimes crop up on craigslist on the cheap and the smaller folding looms like the Schacht wolfs don't usually resell for much below retail on the rare occasions you can find one used.

This one is pretty much everything I could ask for. She's a good size - large enough for bigger projects but not so big that I don't have space to set up. She's well built - I'm not sure what the wood is yet but it seems sturdy and in pretty good shape in spite of having spent the last some-odd years in someone garage. She's even pretty - underneath a layer of grime the wood is warm with an attractive almost iridescent grain.

Oh, and did I mention that she was free?

Its OK if you need to hate me a little bit right now. If I wasn't me, I'd probably hate me a little bit too.

1 comment:

puddle said...

I WANT TO SEE WHAT YOU MAKE WITH THIS!