Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Nearly Instant Gratification

I finished my cowl and it is wonderful.

It took one skein of Merino 12 (and by that I mean exactly one skein - between the left over from the cast on and bind off I had exactly 3inches of waste which felt rather awesome actually).

It took 2 days to knit.

Okay... technically it took 3 days to knit but since the third day was compromised of midnight to 1am of the next morning that I stayed up to finish the last few rows I don't think it counts.

Its big enough to fold in half around my neck or flip up to cover the bottom of my face (should it ever be cold enough here to warrant that).

Pretty much its just awesome in every possible way.

Also I started the hat I was talking about:

Actually I already knit it into 90% of a hat, but then I had to pull it out and start over because a) it fit a bit funny and b) I wasn't going to have enough yarn and after the success of the one skein cowl I really wanted a one skein hat too.

I'm doing a modified Koolhaus pattern.

Its slower knitting than the cowl with all the twists but I still love knitting it.

After the hat I think I am going to be working on a shop sample out of -yarn I can't really talk about yet- I will say that its a yarn that I find fascinating - its not supersoft or brightly colored and its kind of tweedy which are all things that go against my usual preferences. It is curiously light and squishy, however, and made from a cross of sheep that I happen to think rather highly of. Its quite possible that I just might really like it for no particularly logical reason.

I am already considering that it might be a good yarn for that vest I promised my grandfather... or failing that maybe something to finally make the CPH out of because I really did want to do that one this year and I haven't spun fast enough to make it happen out of handspun...

No comments: