Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Novel things to do with busted up knitting needles

So I am pretty frequent about appropriating spare DPNs, crochet hooks and shawl pins to use to pin up my hair. Its not really a conscious effort on my part to decorate my person with knitting implements - its just that I am frequently without a hair tie and spare or orphaned knitting tools are pretty readily available around my person (I have also in the past used such exciting things as pens, pencils, chopsticks, paintbrushes, screw drivers and once or twice a letter opener).

Now I've had some KP needle carnage of late. One of my Zephyr sets arrived with a large defect on one needle and my 60" cable recently threw both connectors (The former were replaced, the later has not been since I cannot for the life of me remember who I might have gone in on an order with for it and it turns out you cannot get replacements without an order number. This may greatly restrict who I share KP orders with in the future).

All this means that I had a spare needle and connector on hand. Since there is a nice convenient hole through which to pass a jump ring on said connector I decided to decorate my newly minted hairpin with some stitch markers, beads and a few nobium rings that were lying around from back when I was doing chainmaille jewelry all the time.

I quite like it.

As a bonus, the slight flex of the Zephyr needles and their very light weight means its also a very comfortable hairpin.

No comments: