Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Finito!


I've been working through a little over 2 oz of Baby Lama fiber this month as part of a Ravelry SAL. I had grabbed the fiber kind of randomly when I first started spinning but wasn't sure what I would do with it until this month.

I started by dyeing it up in blue green and gold. The color take up was really interesting - I used more dye than I thought I needed and though it sucked it all up the end colors were much softer than I'd expected. If I dye llama fiber again I'll have to keep this in mind - larger batches want dye swatches and I should expect to use more dye than I would for a comparative sheep wool.


Spinning it was fun - I found myself using a lighter than usual spindle for the single weight (I was probably averaging a light fingering weight single - 16-18WPI). The home-made one in the picture is .9oz and I also spun some of the braid on my new Turkish Delight. Its a pretty long staple fiber, but its got a very loose crimp and is quite slippery. It was a bit of a trick balancing spinning it enough to hold it together without over twisting it and ruining the soft fluffiness.

And oh boy is it sooooooft.... If I had not already promised the finished skein to my Mom I think I might just keep it as a pet. ;)

The finished yarn came out to a light worsted (12WPI avg) thought some of that is because of its furryness (I spun semi-woolen and its got a moderate halo to it). Somehow I managed over 150yds out of the 60g or so of fiber at that weight.

I finished plying it all up last night. Just barely fit it all on the Ashford (I think if I ever take it into my head to ply so much on it again I will invert the arms and use it as a regular bottom whorl - it occured to me as I was cramming the last bit of yarn on there that things might have gone faster that way).

Pretty damn happy with the finished yarn. Its soft and its a pretty even weight. The color spun up really well and I can just picture an airy sort of scarf or cowl made up from it. :)

No comments: