Saturday, October 11, 2008

Like... in case I have a sock emergency or something

I brought some yarn in today for a friend at work who wants to try socks. We were talking about it and she didn't have any DPNs to use yet so I offered to let her borrow some (I have at current what is a moderately terrifying collection of sock weight needles) until she can swing by the LYS to get her own.

Me: Let's see... 1 & 1/2 or 2?

Her: What do you recommend?

Up until now this has been totally reasonable.

Then I whip out my knitting bag and retrieve my tubes of sock needles.

Me: 1 1/2s are always a good bet.

She looks a little startled. Possibly the sudden pile of sticks on the desk is at fault. I wonder if I should try to explain myself (<- This right here is where I should have stopped)

Me: I always like to keep my socks needles with me just in case I have like a sock emergency. *pause* Like... I need to cast on a sock right away for some reason. *awkward pause* I mean, I might need to and then what if I didn't have them? Or what if I needed the 2s and I only had the 1s? *really awkward pause* That sounds kind of crazy doesn't it?

Lesson Learned: When you feel a need to explain how you're not a nutcase, chances are you are actually about to explain why you are a nutcase.

No comments: